Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Red Hat and Blue Funk

I was in a blue funk yesterday. I think it had something to do with it also being my 50th birthday. I didn't take it well. Any remnants of my youth are now gone.

The first congratulatory (?) call I received was at 6:30 a.m. from a "friend" telling me I now qualified for membership in the Red Hat Society. Egad. The society's members wear red and purple in public as a symbol that they have reached an age where they no longer care what people think about them. Well, I already don't care what people think about me, but there is no way on God's green Earth I will ever not care that I am seen in public wearing purple and red together. Ain't gonna happen. Now, don't get me wrong, I love red and purple, red is my very favorite color. But I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them together. Said friend also fedexed me a Red Hat Society Hat to wear. She's SOOOOOOO on my list now. First of all, hats don't go on this bigass hair of mine. I don't spend an hour in front of the mirror every morning teasing and spraying it just to squish it under a hat. And besides, my ears are to high for a hat. I either have to tuck them under or let them flop out, so again, ain't gonna happen! The Red Hat Society will just have to perservere without me.

And then, I realized that my driver's license expired yesterday. Oh, joy, a trip to the DMV, the perfect birthday gift. Well, guess what? I almost failed the eye test. If the sweet little clerk, bless her heart, hadn't felt sorry for me and let me try EIGHT times, I would have lost my license. The poor thing, whom I've known all my life, was as embarrassed as I was.

I am officially old.

The day did get better, however. My nephew gave me a lovely little bouquet that brightened up my office and my disposition, and the birthday present I ordered for myself, a gorgeous zebra print and red leather pocketbook, arrived via the equally gorgeous UPS guy; and my favorite meal was waiting for me when I got home, fried chicken, tomato sandwiches and homemade chocolate cake with fudge icing.

9 comments:

Carme said...

Happy birthday for you, welcome to the club of 50 !!!!!

Unknown said...

Ah to be 50 again! I'll be 60 on my next birthday! Enjoy it, life only gets better as you get older!

Gillian McMurray said...

Remember, with age comes wisdom. The world today glorifies youth but think of all those silly decisions we make when young because something is 'cool' or is supperficially attractive. Give me wisdom any day. BY the way, I'm 36 and I already don't care what people think of me. Should I be wearing red and purple? ;o) Glad you had a few treats for your birthday though. That's always fun.

Julz said...

Hey lovely lady...Belated birthday blessing to you!!! I am only 5 years behind you...and already stressing about turning 50...so you can tell me all about it once you are used to it!!!! hehe!!
I think being this age is much more rewarding and much easier than being young...dont you...besides...you are only as old as you act...lol!!!! I must be 25 then...haha!
What a cheeky friend you have...make sure you save that hat to send back to her!!!
Glad you got out of your funk...and got spoilt...kisses to you from the land of Aus!!!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Ah, you ladies are so sweet! And considering the alternative, I suppose celebrating a milestone birthday is not so bad!

You all are the best!

Laurel said...

I am SO with you on the Red Hat Society thing! I was almost completely over purple, having seriously over-worn the color in the '80's (it did look great with the flaming red hair I had then!), and then they came around and ruined the color for me forever! And don't get me started on the seriously hideous hats....
Happy Belated and welcome to the 50's! (they sorta suck, I'm glad I'm almost over them!)

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, Laurel. You're a trip, girl! LOL

Jacki said...

Hey, I just found the link to your blog in the etsy forums! I love this article! And I didn't know you had "big ass hair"..ha ha.
You certainly brightened up my day with this post! I am already past 50 and loving every minute of it.
By the way your pendants get even more beautiful daily! I am so jealous of your art. How do you do it?
Sorry to write such a long comment! Nah, not really.
Jacki
See you at the yart sale.

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Hey, Jacki! You changed your name!

When are you going to get serious about Polymer Clay? You know you want to, so come on, dig in and make something purty! Practice makes perfect, you know...well, sometimes. I probably throw 5 pieces in the Butt Uglies Jar for every satisfactory one I keep! LOL

Don't buy up all the good stuff at the YART sale, now. Save some for me! :)