Sunday, June 14, 2009

Alphabet Soup Anyone?

I spent Friday night and most of Saturday working on my alphabet tiles for PCAGOE's Alphabet Project.

The Polymer Clay Artists Guild of Etsy (PCAGOE) sponsors several charitable projects each year, including our popular Alphabet Project. We will be making a mosaic to donate to a children's hospital or Ronald McDonald house. Each tile background is supposed to be white, and each tile measures 1/4" to 1/2" deep, 2" wide and 2" tall; and this year, we adopted a "A" is for...", "B" is for..." theme, so in addition to the letter, we are also required to design or depict the object we choose to be identified with our letter.

This year, I was assigned the "C" and the "X". I chose a Cowboy for the "C". The cowboy tile was fairly simple, a double image transfer onto a base of White Premo clay, but in my first four tries, I couldn't get a clean transfer. The "C" was much easier to do, a cutout topped with an image transfer of a red bandana pattern. I love my little "C".

Instead of the usual xylophone for "X", I chose to depict a Xebec. What is a Xebec, you ask? A Xebec is an ancient, 3-masted merchant ship believed to be Mediterranean in origin. I think the swirly "X" and the aqua and green waves give it a Mediterranean flair. What do you think?

2 comments:

Alice Stroppel said...

These are great, what a wonderful idea for a wonderful cause. Are we going to do another one? Sorry I missed out on this one.

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thanks, Alice! I think there is one letter left, I'll email you at the forum and let you know which one! :)

Lynda