Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Grab and Throw Method

I have been having trouble finding gemstones that fit the vintage Japanese landscape images I purchase a couple of months ago. Pearls were too blah, Swarovsky crystals too bright, a combination of pearls and Swarovski too...something. I bought rose colored stones and peach colored, but nothing grabbed me until I looked at my Jasper collection. I have a whole tray of various shapes and sizes of Aqua Terra Jasper, Apple Jasper, Fancy Jasper, Brecciated Jasper, Leopardskin Jasper, etc. The jaspers and agates are my favorite gemstones to work with because they are so versatile. I've mentioned this before, but it really amazes me how they can take on properties of other gems when you wouldn't think they would match at all.

Occasionally, when I get stuck and can't choose a gemstone palette for a pendant, I get a little crazy. That's when I clear off the work table, set the pendant down in the middle, open up all my bead trays, turn off my mind...and just start grabbing and throwing beads on the table. I pay for it when I have to sort them all again, but that's a whole 'nother story. It's crazy, but the "grab and throw" method works, with very little angst and indecision involved. It's a little act of rebellion on the part of my spontaneous gene. Every once in awhile, it just has to break free.

This pendant has a lot of color in it, but I still would not have thought to put the Aqua Terra Jasper with the Amazonite, but I am thrilled with the result. So what do you think, did the "grab and throw" work this time?

5 comments:

Patricia said...

OMG, it's fabulous! I too like the subtle shadings of jasper. Have yet to find a stellar source though. Where do you get yours?

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thanks, Patricia! I get most of my gems from limabeads.com. Very nice quality!

Lynda

sharon said...

This is stunning Lynda! Obviously
this method works well....I'll have to try it!

Sharon said...

Those stones look as if they were made just for your pendant...grab and throw, eh? Beautiful results!

Laurel said...

Whatever method you use, your color combos are always exceptional!