Monday, June 22, 2009

Finally! Kandinsky! My Entry in Art Bead Scene's June Challenge

I really wanted to participate in the June Art Bead Scene challenge. The theme this month is an interpretation of Wassily Kandinsky's painting, "Farbstudie Quadrate".

See, the thing is, I'm not a primary color kind of girl. I'm not all that crazy about the secondary colors, either. I like the tertiary colors, the muted, blended tomato reds, pumpkin, aubergine, iolite, mustard, etc.

I wanted to do this challenge to make myself work with true red, yellow and blue. Yeah, uh huh, three pounds of wasted clay later...okay, I'm kidding, about a pound later, guess what I got? A tertiary Kandinsky!

JUNEABS Entry - Finally! Kandinsky!

When I use the primary and secondary colors, it is usually as an accent for black. I love black and red together, and black and purple, and occasionally, black and yellow and black and blue. It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up to put red, blue and yellow together. My mind says "don't blend, don't blend", but my hands just don't listen. Ah, well. I am happy with my entry, and if I violated Kandinsky rules, so be it. I can live with it.

I paired this pendant with these absolutely gorgeous Pilbara Jasper in a horse eye cut, Apple Jasper rondelles, some handmade borosilica glass beads studded with sterling silver, copper cuff beads and silver spacer beads. I purchased the boro glass beads at Etsy last year. I just love them, and have been searching for more in different colors. These are a lucsious cantaloupe/orange juice color.

4 comments:

sharon said...

Lynda...this is absolutely stunning!! I stayed away from this month's ABS challenge for all the same reasons as you, plus I have about 5 other things I'm working on right now. Your necklace really captures the essence of the painting...just outstanding!!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Hey, Sharon. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Ol' Kandinsky is probably spinning in his grave, but thank you so much!

mairedodd said...

this is an incredible interpretation... i love the use of earthy components... your blending mimics how the paints overlap in the painting... really cool - lots of work - are you going to wear it? :)

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you so much, Maire! You are very kind, and what a lovely compliment. I actually wore it today! :)