I had a scrap party last night. A what??? A scrap party! I intended to spend the evening making my pendant for the July ABS challenge, the theme of which is an interpretation of a Kandinsky painting. I got off on a tangent (or as we say down South, I got a wild hair) and started playing with my scrap clay heap, and I do mean heap.
Usually when I gather up scraps and then smoosh them together, it ends up as a brown base I use when I want to layer something prettier on top. I had some turquoise and vermillion red in the scrap heap this week, and thought it was too pretty to be ground brown, so I gathered up a few bits and twisted it and ran it through the pasta machine to get this pretty stripedy (it is too a word!) base for some image transfers. Me likey!
I've also been blending turquoise shades this week, trying to get a really nice green turquoise for a project a friend of mine is designing for me, which will have copper and turquoise in it, and the turquoise in this piece was scrap clay left over from the blend attempt. I love red with turquoise, and the little tomato red motif accent and the tomato red in the bird look really good together in this piece.
Here are two more pendants with the same turquoise blend. This time, I tore off strips of copper clay and stippled them with an old brush tip.
Stippling is a great way to add instant texture, and it really looks neat with the copper embossing powder embedded in the clay.
Now, back to that Kandinsky pendant...it was a case of the mind is willing but the hands couldn't execute. My mind saw circles, but my hands made stripes. This is a happy accident, but I'll be back at the drawing board this weekend, me and old Kandinsky.