Friday, August 15, 2008

My Copper and Turquoise Blue Necklace Won!

Copper and Turquoise MB5Copper and Turquoise MB Pendant

My Copper and Turquoise Polymer Clay Necklace won the TeamSC weekly challenge, the theme of which was "Blue"! I'm so excited, it is the first time I've won one of the weekly contests. Thanks to all the TeamSC members who voted for it, your checks are in the mail!

This bead was almost reborn as something else. It was one of the first polymer clay beads I ever made, the only spherical one I've made. It broke my heart when it came out of the oven with a slight hairline crack, but I couldn't bear to throw it away, so I put it aside. I got it out a couple of weekends ago and decided to make myself a necklace, and guess what? The hairline crack was gone! I love it so much, and I have worn the necklace several times. I always get stopped and asked where I bought it. I love the look on peoples' faces when I tell them I made it. I then explain the wonders of polymer clay. Yes, I'm converting the world to PC, one person at a time.

In fact, I am wearing this necklace today. I was in a blue mood this morning... not a blue funk, but a funky blue mood! I love the color blue, it is my second favorite color, after red. The colors in the Indigo to iolite range, sliding toward the purple end of the spectrum, are my favorite shades. Ironically, I don't make a lot of blue beads. I went looking for some inspiration this morning and found some really beautiful examples of blue designs in polymer clay. Aren't they great?

Bettina Walker, a/k/a beadworx, makes gorgeous bracelets, but I love her polymer clay pillboxes, too. Bettina was a graduate graphic designer running a small advertising agency for classical and new media when she discovered polymer clay in 2003 and immediately was fascinated by the unbelievable versatility of this material. Ever since she spent each and every minute creating intricate patterned canes, producing art beads, one-of-a-kind jewlery and decoration. She attended several classes with international teachers and organizes workshop weekends for the german clay community with renowened teachers like Lisa Pavelka and Sarah Shriver in 2006 and 2007. Since 2007 she has taught private classes at her home studio and workshops throughout the country. You can see more of Bettina's work in her shop at www.beadworx.etsy.com.

These darling bluebird earrings are from the creative mind of Marie Chao, a/k/a Wumpus. What'a a Wumpus? A magical creature that is curious about all the wonderfully silly things in life, loves to play and vows to never grow up.

Marie says that when the days get too serious, the wumpus in her begs to jump out and be silly giddy happy. She loves hiding out and creating imaginary friends and telling stories about them, which often materialize in the form of drawings, photos, polymer clay creatures, short stories, and live on tee shirts, post cards, stickers, and other "crazy stuff". So, let the wumpus in you come out and play!

3 comments:

Paisley The Jackabee said...

Congratulations!! Gorgeous necklace.

Anonymous said...

You deserve it - that is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I'm thrilled!