Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dr. Seuss and the Letter "H"

Dr. Seuss H 6U Dr. Seuss H View 3

I was asked to do a second tile for PCAGOE's Alphabet Project for a children's hospital, an orange "H".

I immediately thought of Dr. Seuss and the Whoville characters. I've always loved his books, and this is my tribute to him. The tile is 2" square and roughly 1" tall (which unfortunately exceeds the maximum height requirement, but maybe they won't notice?). I made it from Studio Clementine orange and Studio Peacock polymer clay, and Kato white clay. I wanted the base to be puffy, cartoony, larger than life. I can't sculp, so as much as I wanted to add some whimsey on top, an embossed white slab with the blue and orange letter block was the best I could do. It was a hit at home, so I hope the kids who receive it will love it, too.

No comments: