Friday, July 18, 2008

TeamSC Artist of the Week - Jsbutrfli

This week's TeamSC artist is Becky of www.jsbutrfli.etsy.com. Becky makes beautiful, custom invitations specifically tailored to your occasion or announcement, either on cardstock or in digital format.

Where in South Carolina do you live, and were you born here? If not, how long have you been in SC?

I live in Irmo right outside of Columbia. I was born and raised here. I moved to Newberry for a couple of years when my husband and I married, but we moved back here to Irmo to raise our family.

What do you like best about living in South Carolina?


SC is a really wonderful place to live. Being in Irmo, it's really close to the mountians and the beach, which I both love. I love the small town feel in a bigger city and the people are truly amazing. The weather is great pretty much year round. Although, I must admit, the summers can be pretty hot!

How long have you been involved in your craft, and how did you get started?

I've been involved in card making for about a year now. I got started with that when I was planning my daughter's first birthday and decided to make her cards myself. I loved the process so much that I decided to start doing it as a hobby. After that, it just kind of went from there. I've been doing some type of artsy stuff all my life though. I've played music (flute/piccolo). I love to scrapbook. I've done several projects for my daughter's room. I just love being creative.

Do you work from your home, or do you have a brick and mortar store?

I work from my home. I sell on Etsy, Ebay and take local orders. Would I like to have an actual store one day? I'm not sure. I'd love to at least have my items for sale in a gift shop or something one day though. That would be very rewarding.

Who or what inspires you?

I get inspiration from everywhere! You'll be amazed at what you see if you pay attention! My husband is very supportive and that goes a long way in my inspiration too.

Do you have a method for remembering ideas you want to implement, such as a notebook or tape recorder, etc.?

No, I don't. But, it's funny you say that because I was just thinking about this the other day. I see so much that I want to remember and I never do when it comes time to create. I really need to start! Drawing the idea would not be an option b/c I cannont draw! Not with pencil and paper at least! LOL! Every now and then I do find things and I'll take pics of them though or if I'm looking through a magazine I'll save the page.

What do you do when you hit a brick wall creatively and nothing is working?

I just take a break. Then I try to go through websites like Party City or Birthday Express to see what themes are out there. I try to make sure I have things to compliment those themes. Once I look at those, then my brain gets flowing again. Normally. Sometimes I'll look on websites too for inspiration.

What is the most rewarding, interesting, or even weirdest thing you’ve ever been asked to make?

I'd say everything that I've done for customers is rewarding for me. I love being apart of their special day! I've never had any weird requests or anything. Maybe one day. LOL!

What are some of your goals for your craft, and where do you hope it will take you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?


I just hope that God will bless me enough to let me keep doing this. I would love for my business to grow. I'd love to see my items sold in stores within the next 5 years. That would be a huge accomplishment for me. Mainly, I just want to be able to keep making people happy and providing them with something that helps their special day be a little bit better!

What are your hobbies, or how do you like to spend your free time, assuming you have any?

Well, I'm a SAHM so I get to spend a lot of time with my daughter, which I love. I get to see her grow and learn new things. If I'm not busy designing new stuff or helping a customer, then I'm probably cleaning my house or playing with my daughter. I have to admit, I'm a tv junkie too so I normally catch up on some shows during the day. My weekends are reserved to spend with my husband and daughter together since he works a lot during the week. I love to travel, although we don't do that very much.

Now for the fun stuff!

What is your favorite color? That's a tough one. I have so many! I love pink, purple and red.

Favorite food? Again, lots of favorites there! I'd have to say pizza, feta cheese, or pasta.

Favorite song or musical artist? Right now I'm loving Trace Adkin's song, You're Gonna Miss This. It's so touching. I also love Leona Lewis' new song. I like a lot of different music so it's hard to pin down just one favorite. My all time favorite group though I'd have to say are the Goo Goo Dolls.

Favorite book or author? My favorite author is Emily Giffin. I just love her books! I'm reading Love the One You're With right now and it's so good! I also like authors like Dean Koontz, Mary Higgins Clark and anything that's considered chic-lit or suspense.

Favorite movie, actor or actress?Favorite current movie would be Sex and the City. I'm just really in love with the whole fashion thing. Although, I have no fashion or style myself! I also love Empire Records and Breakfast at Tiffany's. I don't really have a favorite actor or actress. I'm pretty fond of Katherine Hiegl, Julia Stiles, Patrick Dempsey and Vin Diesel though.

And the MOST important question: Clemson or Carolina? I have to say growing up as a little girl I was raised Clemson. We went to all the games and I even dreamed about being in the band. My grandad was a huge fan! But, here lately I've been a Carolina girl at heart. Although, I still pull for both, Carolina wins out now when they play each other.

To see more of Becky's work, visit her shop at Etsy, and you can also find her at www.pinkinkcreations.com and www.pinkinkcreations.blogspot.com!

2 comments:

Barbra said...

Great interview. I'm in SC also. Nice to learn more about us!

Barbra said...

Great interview. I'm in SC also. Nice to learn more about us!