Thursday, June 12, 2008

TeamSC Artist of the Week

I decided to add an "artist of the week" feature to the blog, and Jackie, one of the TeamSC artisans, graciously volunteered to be the first artist featured.

Jackie makes beautiful jewelry using polymer clay and other materials, including her favorite, Swarovski crystal. Find out more about Jackie and her designs by visiting her shop at www.ladypippie.etsy.com. Thank you again, Jackie, for helping me get this feature started!

Where in South Carolina do you live, and were you born here? If not, how long have you been in SC? I was born at Fort Jackson, SC. My Dad was in the Army so we traveled quite a bit. He retired in 1967 and we returned to Columbia. Right now, (this week) I live in Sumter. Next week we are moving to Rock Hill.

What do you like best about living in South Carolina? I love living in South Carolina because of the people and our easier way of life. I also like living so close to the mountains and the beach.

How long have you been involved in your craft, and how did you get started? I have always been a crafty person. I started making jewelry about 3 years ago. I love to wear different and unique jewelry. When I found out how much it relaxed me and the endless possibilities, I was hooked.

Do you work from your home, or do you have a brick and mortar store? I only work from home and sell on Etsy.

Who or what inspires you? My husband is my greatest supporter of my crafts. In fact, it was his idea for me to start selling online. What truly inspires me is my faith in God. He has given me the gift of crafting. My desire is to glorify God in all that I do.

Do you have a method for remembering ideas you want to implement, such as a notebook or tape recorder, etc.? I don't have a hard, fast rule for remembering ideas. I often will write things down or draw ideas. The drawing of ideas has been a problem because I am not a great artist. By the time I try to make the item, the drawing makes no sense.

What do you do when you hit a brick wall creatively and nothing is working? When I hit a brick wall or what I call a brain cramp, I check out websites and read books for ideas. Often just looking through a catalog gives me the inspiration I need.

What is the most rewarding, interesting, or even weirdest thing you’ve ever been asked to make?The most rewarding thing I have been asked to make was for my daughter-in-law's wedding. Actually, she made everything but she wanted me to help her pick out what she needed and asked for my guidance and instruction. Now she is hooked too!

What are some of your goals for your craft, and where do you hope it will take you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? My goal is to develop/design my own line of jewelry...things that are very unique to me and my faith in God. I plan to continue to work out of my home. I don't want to open a brick and mortar store but I would love to have my items sold in stores within 5 years.

What are your hobbies, or how do you like to spend your free time, assuming you have any?In my limited free time, I knit, crochet, cross stitch, sew, design/make jewelry, decoupage and I am trying to learn origami. That's just for my crafts. In other free time, I love to spend time with my 6 grandchildren (soon to be 7) and 1 great grandchild (soon to be 2). Unfortunately, I am not able to spend much time with most of them because they live so far away. I also enjoy reading, watching TV and movies, visiting lighthouses and playing with my Yorki-Poo, Raisin Kayne. Of course, spending time with my wonderful husband will always be a favorite of mine.

Now for the fun stuff!

What is your favorite color? Royal Blue

Favorite food? Pizza

Favorite song or musical artist? I love and listen to all music except opera

Favorite book or author? A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George

Favorite movie, actor or actress? The Gods Must Be Crazy and Casablanca

And the MOST important question: Clemson or Carolina? I am a fan of both until they play each other...then it is definitely Carolina.

4 comments:

rocknrollmcmama said...

Beautiful jewelry!

Taylor said...

It's great learning more about our Team members and what inspires their creativity!

Thanks for doing this, Lynda!

Sheila said...

Wow, Jackie is quite a busy lady! And, so very talented!

Great blog, Lynda!

MaryMarsh said...

This is such a great way to get to know each other! Lovely jewelry Jackie! Awesome blog SCDiva! ~MaryMarsh