Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Yes, Virginia, You Can Clay With Nine Fingers

Aqua Pebble Textured Focal Beads

I sliced my index finger to the bone on a new stiffy blade (those things are wicked sharp when new) last week, and I was not supposed to touch the clay for another week, but I couldn't help myself and gave in to the muse Saturday and made a few new pieces.

Huge Teal Pebble Textured Focal Beads with Antique Gold Ends

The beads are taking on a decidedly reptilian look, more organic and "looser" than my first attemps. You do not know how hard it was for me to resist naming this series "Later Gator" or "Faux Snake." I was not sure how some of my customers would take to wearing gator or snake beads, however.

Faux Dark Burma Jade Pebble Textured Bottle Bead with Antique Gold Accents - East/West Orientation

I do not know why, really. It may be the other side of my Gemini personality emerging. I am almost obsessed with my finishes, especially on my image transfers, but I have sort of let myself "go with the flow" with the focal beads. I am letting the stampings guide what I do with them. It has been a kick to experiment. I have also gone through a brand new, 75ml tube of Amsterdam Burnt Umber in the past month. I just cannot leave the little beadies naked. They must be antiqued and textured. Who knows, next month we may be back to high gloss image transfers, but right now, I am having way too much fun being the "queen of fauxtiquities."

Antique Gold Capped Sea Green Pebble Textured Focal Beads

My new favorite toy is a new pebbled texture sheet I got from cooltools.us. Cooltools is the coolest site. I love their texture sheets because, for one, they are small and manageable; and two, they go through the pasta machine like a snap.

Antique Gold Capped Sea Green Pebble Textured Focal Beads

Yes, I have discovered I like running the clay and texture sheet through the pasta machine better than trying to get an even stamping on a flat surface, so I spent the better part of a day last week unmounting my mounted rubber stamps. They are so much easier to store unmounted, and you can't put a block of wood through the pasta machine.

So here are a few photos of what I was not supposed to do Saturday.

4 comments:

SueBeads said...

They are really gorgeous! I hope you didn't hurt your finger even more!

Bonnie Kreger at B-LEE KREATIONS said...

Lynda, those are awesome, I think you need to take a break and come to Arizona and do a class for our guild.

Make sure you put some aloe and vitamin E on your finger. Deep breathing will put a lot of oxygen in your system also and that will make it heal faster. Got that advice from a great chiropractor and it works.


Arizona awaits you.

Kristina said...

Wonderful beads! I hope you'll make a tuto - I'd love to buy it.

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, ladies. I appreciate the encouragement! :)

Bonnie, thank you so much. I didn't know that about the vitamin e, but I will certainly try it!