Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fee Fi Faux Fum

Faux Turquoise Polymer Clay Pendant with Chinese Turquoise, Turquoise Howlite, Antique Copper 7

I am still on my faux techniques journey and made this faux turquoise pendant a couple of weeks ago. I finally got caught up on my custom orders and sat down earlier this week to put the necklace together.

This is one of the few times I have created a pendant specifically for gemstones I wanted to use with it. These Chinese Turquoise rounds have a very delicate hairline matrix, as opposed to rough cut chunky turquoise with big pockets of dark matrix.

I used the rounds and the Turquoise Howlite barrel beads for inspiration. This was an extremely small batch, 4 beads in all, one of which will never see the light of day, not even in the Butt Uglies Jar. Shudder.

I can live with these, even though they aren't quite what I wanted. This pendant has gotten a lot of notice, and the necklace design, too, so I may not be looking at them with an objective enough eye.



My friend, and fellow PCAGOE guild member, Christi Uliczny of River Valley Design featured the necklace on her blog yesterday. Thank you, Christi, and everyone who has commented on the pendant and necklace!

Christi is a very talented artist. Her Etsy store and flickr photo stream are full of some serious polymer clay eye candy. She was recently featured on PolymerClayDaily for these gorgeous Rocky Path earrings (tutorial available at claylessons.com!); and most importantly, she is the mother of one of our brave servicemen currently serving our country in Afghanistan. OOH-RAH, Cale!

Christi is a true genius with alcohol inks and pearlex powders. The shimmer, the shine, the depth of color, the color palettes, are all amazing.

3 comments:

Christi Uliczny said...

Wow, Lynda, thanks for the incredible feature! I am truly honored to be included in your wonderful blog and to be a part of our great PCAGOE community. It has been a wonderful journey in the short time I have been a member. I look forward to a long clay and blog relationship! My son will be directed to read "all about it" as soon as I get to speak with him again--he is always happy to have support in his fight for our country!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

You are very welcome, Christi. I was happy to return the kindness. :)

Jenn said...

Wow. That pendant is spectacular! I love how you made it look like turquoise, but still a little bit it's own. You're giving me inspiration for when I experiment with faux techniques. (Still a beginner...just learning techniques in general.)