Thursday, February 14, 2013

Art Bead Scene February Challenge Entry - Faux Red Jade Pagoda Earrings

These earrings are my entry in Art Bead Scene's February challenge.  I've been saving these antique silver pagoda charms to use for something special.

I love the artwork which is the inspiration for this month's challenge is a 1941 woodblock print entitled "Heijinja" by Toshi Yoshida, which features a stunning orange-red pagoda with a slate gray roof framed by a blush pink cherry tree in bloom.

The beads in the center of the antique silver pagoda charms are faux red jade polymer clay beads, which I created using the orange-red faux jade recipe in my faux jade tutorial.

I embossed the beads with a Japanese cherry blossom texture sheet and continued the Asian floral theme with 10mm sponge coral beads carved with leaves and blooms.  I just love these antique silver pagoda charms.

I am checking with the editors at ABS to see if I can add a copy of the artwork for this month, since it is copyrighted.  I hope I will be able to add it shortly, because it is a stunning print, and one of my personal favorites.  There is a copy up at ABS you can see, and also a copy in the ABS Flickr challenge photo pool, where you can check out all the lovely entries this month!


Update:  Tari said I could use the artwork, so here it is!   Thanks, Tari! 


18 comments:

BluMoon said...

I love these earrings the silver pagodas are so unusual and your clay beads are perfect! Good luck with the challenge.
Jackie

Kym Hunter Designs said...

Beautiful earrings! The silver pagodas are very unique and pretty.

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thanks, ladies!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanne @ Gems By Jeanne Marie said...

I saw these over at ABS, Lynda.
Love them!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, Jeanne! Congratulations on winning the Gaea beads, too! Lucky you! :)

Ginger Davis Allman (The Blue Bottle Tree) said...

Gorgeous. Well visioned. BTW, copyrighted doesn't mean you can't post or share a picture. There is something called "Fair Use", which means you can use something in the vein of reporting, commentary, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use Of course you should always include attribution and credit and that's actually the part most people fail to do.

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, Ginger. You are a wealth of information. :)

SueBeads said...

Your earrings are FANTASTIC! WOW!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thanks, Sue!

Jeanniek said...

Holy crow, these are exquisite.

charleston forge furniture said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TesoriTrovati said...

So awesome Miss Lynda! I would agree with what Miss Ginger said about fair use. I know that several of the inspirations this year will have that added message. It is more to the fact that it is not old enough to be fully in the public domain and shouldn't be used to make copies like in a photo transfer technique. I just love what you did to represent the painting. Your clay beads are the perfect color and I love the pagodas! Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us! Enjoy the day. Erin

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you so much, Jeannie and Erin!

Rose Lee said...

Good information dear. Some more interesting stuff about Jade Jewelery For Bride & Groom to share

charleston forge furniture said...

You are too kind for words! I am so happy you found us.

columbus ohio furniture said...

When reading a few of your other posts I enjoyed them and liked the furniture, I will bookmark the site and be back.

kids bedroom furniture said...

That’s too nice, when it comes in furniture hope it can make a rocking place for the kids bedrooms, hope that comes true.